The groaning board

Max-Kass,-buffet,-Bob-Wyer,-1944-smlAt this the season of feasting, we offer this 1944 photograph of Max Kass, proprietor of the former Kass Inn in Kelly Corners, which was known for its marvelous buffets. The Inn was started in 1919 when Max Kass and two others (Nachman Groubarth and Harry Taub) bought a six-room farmhouse and 284 acres from Leander McEwan. In 1921, Max married Sadie Ginder and over the years they expanded the inn to accommodate 150 guests in 75 rooms, adding the 300-acre Hess farm across the road. The Catskill Mountain News, announcing Kass’s plans to add a golf course to the property on May 7, 1948, reported that “the Inn . . . enjoys an excellent reputation throughout the mountains and this part of the state. On big days at the Inn, it is not uncommon to serve 500 dinners. The Inn will probably average 1,000 to 1,500 meals weekly.” Kass Inn was sold in the early 1990s to a Japanese firm and renamed Hanah Country Inn. This photograph, taken by Bob Wyer, was the November image of the 2013 calendar produced by the Delaware County Historical Assoc.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.