Echoes of industry

What today is known as the Woolheater house, on Maple Street across from the fire hall was once located on Main Street where Suites on Main (formerly Royal Cleaners) stands. In the 1880s it was Will Mungle’s harness shop, situated above the Binnekill between the shoe shop of Asa Akerly and the home of Mary Jane Ballard. Masonic Lodge #389 met on the second floor, according to Richard Connell’s book, “An Oyster Stew: A History of Freemasonry in Middletown Township 1796-1996.” Will Mungle, a native of Scotland, sold his leather and harness shop to his brother James and got into the insurance business. He died in 1911. When and why the building was moved up the block is a question that requires further research.